Stainless or cast iron grates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless or cast iron grates?

I've worn out my Char-grill with porcelain coated cast iron grates.
    The porcelain came off and the grates rusted.
    So my question is, when I go buy my new BBQ do I get the stainless grates or trust that a higher quality BBQ with coated grates will hold up better?

Re: Stainless or cast iron grates?

I really like my cast iron grates. Once in a while I coat them with some vegetable oil or something along those lines and they have stayed rust free. Any minor surface rust comes off with very minimal effort. I am confident my grates will outlast my BBQ.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

Yup Cast Iron times two!

Comment

Thanks guys. I spray mine with oil before each use but the coating just flaked off. Maybe a step up in quality will be the answer.

Comment

I like my stainless grills
          sigpicWhen I get home im gonna punch yo momma in the mouth

Comment

X2 on the stainless. Make sure they are good heavy stainless though! You can use S.O.S. pads on them even when they get nasty and they will look like new again.
            70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Comment

I like this..

Originally posted by slvregl View Post
              X2 on the stainless. Make sure they are good heavy stainless though! You can use S.O.S. pads on them even when they get nasty and they will look like new again.

Comment

I like good quality heavy cast iron with a good quality coating. Nothing transferes heat like a good cast iron. Thats why they make the best, although heavy, pots and pans.

If You want to buy a middle of the road grill with crappy grates, I have build grates for people before using 3/8" 304 stainless rod used a lot in the food industry. I coated the finished grates in oil and seasoned them as good as I could before the first grill, and they worked great.
                “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Adam Carolla has pushed these on his podcast.

http://www.mangrate.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X