I need a new BBQ.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new BBQ.

I've bought my share of cheapies. Burners rust through, racks rust out, hot spots, cold spots. The high flame setting is actually way to low. I need help picking out a good grill that will last more than 2-3 years. I'm not very good at BBQing and want to learn the craft. Help please.

Re: I need a new BBQ.

Weber gas.. 3 burner ,, the best..
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Weber Genisis-Silver BY FAR. I know they are over 500 bucks, but the unit is just awesome. Not only has mine lasted for 7+ years with only a sparker replacement (10 bucks) it gets to 800 searing degrees with ease on only 35k BTU's which is awesome. Indirect cooking is perfect with the 3 burners, and overall heat control is better than any I have used. I like to BBQ and step in at friends houses and help and I am always annoyed at the large bad ass stainless units from costco or home depot. Almost inpossible to control heat expecially when they have 50k+ btu's.
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Alright, went on CL and found this. What do you think?
        $800 Weber grill for $500 (Never Used) - $500 (North Hanford)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Date: 2011-05-08, 3:23PM PDT
        Reply to: sale-s4nr9-2369724867@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New in Box- Weber Genesis BBQ Grill- Model: E-310 (last years model)

On sale currently @ Amazon right now for $750. Copper color. Asking $500. Not your average grill, VERY solid. Most sites i have seen reviews for give this grill 5 out of 5 stars. I will include the store receipt for warranty purposes.

Call Mike- (559)817-9055

Check out the specs and Weber's warranty information here...
        http://www.amazon.com/Weber-3742001-...488447&sr=8-11

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Comment

Ok, I have a Char-Broil Commercial for about 6 years, its still in good shape, and did its job. I used it a lot for the first 3 years, but I then got a Traeger Smoker (Grandpa gave me his, as I did all the cooking anyway on it). I still use the Char-Broil when I do corn or hotdogs and stuff like that, otherwise I use the Traeger. We have 3 Traegers, all Lil' Tex, in the family and they are used a lot and we have had no problems (all are 5-6 years old). My only complaint is that I wish I had the Texas Grill model as I seem to run out of room a lot.

I moved about 2 years ago and my neighbor just got one, he said he couldn't stand to smell all the food he couldn't eat. I told him not to get it because he will he cooking on it non stop and he has. He has had it for 2 weeks and I think cooked on it 9 days so far, I'm not complaining as I get to sample. Traeger is doing a road show and hitting up the local Costco's and selling under dealer prices (Fresno area).

Back when we got our Traeger, they were all American made, not so now. There is another company that started and picked up Traeger's American parts suppliers, Royall Grills. The New Holland Ford tractor dealer in Reedley is a distributor for both and usally have a few models in stock to compare. I've been nothing but happy with the Traegers and it is very consistant in how it cooks, but there are some features I like that the Royall has (stackable grates to cook more food, looks like better build quality than current Traegers, and American made).

The last thing I want is the Big Green Egg. I like cooking with charcoal and think that these are the elite in charcoal cooking and I will get one someday.

Comment

I've had a Char Griller (not CharBroil) model for a couple of years now. Its a propane grill with a side fire box for smoking (pretty cool... light a fire in the side box, smoke travels into the main grill to smoke your food with or without the help of propane.) Its a pretty high quality unit and reasonably priced at Lowes. Has reversible cast iron grills (one side for searing, the other for grilling) and will heat up to over 700 degrees pretty quickly.

My only complaint is that when you start using the side fire box its finish starts to show it... but overall its about the most even cooking grill I've owned. Plus the grilling surface is pretty big.
            Last edited by CityHick; 05-10-2011, 02:01 PM.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Tad,

I bought myself a new grill about a year ago, and I absolutely love it. I've got a pretty nice Kenmore stainless 5 burner that I won at work a few years ago, but I was starting to miss the flavor of charcoal. The Weber Performer is a nice compromise between the flavor of charcoal and the speed of gas. It uses the small propane (camp lantern and stove size) canisters to start the briquettes so they're ready faster than with lighter fluid, and with out the lighter fluid taste. There are two baskets for the briquettes so it's easy to put the heat where you need it (direct, indirect), and the lower vent doubles as the ash clean out system. It's a really nice grill.

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
              I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

I personally love the weber gas grills. I have picked up a few over the past couple years. I find them on CL and fix them up and sell them. Nothing a little heat paint cant clean up. All the parts are available all over, Home Depot, Lowes, some hardware stores and of course online. They might be a little more expensive, but IMO you cant go wrong.

Comment

759 at amazon! Offer 450 and run with it. It is hard to compare to the Weber unless you have used one. Solid yes, but the heat control and dissapation across the grill surface is awesome. Plus the grates are a very heavy ceramic coated cast. Not chinsy stainless or other types.

Originally posted by Cheesenip73 View Post
                  Alright, went on CL and found this. What do you think?
                  $800 Weber grill for $500 (Never Used) - $500 (North Hanford)

Date: 2011-05-08, 3:23PM PDT
                  Reply to: sale-s4nr9-2369724867@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

New in Box- Weber Genesis BBQ Grill- Model: E-310 (last years model)

On sale currently @ Amazon right now for $750. Copper color. Asking $500. Not your average grill, VERY solid. Most sites i have seen reviews for give this grill 5 out of 5 stars. I will include the store receipt for warranty purposes.

Call Mike- (559)817-9055

Check out the specs and Weber's warranty information here...
                  http://www.amazon.com/Weber-3742001-...488447&sr=8-11

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
                  “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
                    759 at amazon! Offer 450 and run with it. It is hard to compare to the Weber unless you have used one. Solid yes, but the heat control and dissapation across the grill surface is awesome. Plus the grates are a very heavy ceramic coated cast. Not chinsy stainless or other types.
                    I may swoop in for the kill this weekend. Thanks for you help!

Comment

I'll second it since it was mentioned above. I love my Traeger. Even though its a 'smoker' you can use it like a grill. There is no substitute for the smoke flavor the pellets add.

Comment

You should check out the Primo Grill!!!!
                        Attached Files

Comment

go get a 55 gallon steel drum, chop it in half, weld some hinges and legs on and your good to go
                          i'm making mine in a few weeks

but apart from that, we've got the weber 3 burner with side stove top attached and its pretty good, great for getting all your cookin done in one place
                          1990 351w, f250 E4OD, Yukon 4:10 gears, Aussie lockers(still need to be installed), 4 inch rancho lift(sagging at about a 3 inch lift and being replaced by 6 inch rough country), safari rack from wildernessracks, hella 500 lights, bedliner interior, 33" bfg a/t being replace by 35 inch wrangler m/t

Comment

our cheap Brinkman is falling apart and we are looking to replace with a BBQ that will last more than a couple years. I am looking at the propane, charcoal, smoker combos and want any opinions that anyone can share. should i just buy a nice propane unit and smoker separate? I already have an older weber charcoal unit that is in good shape
                            1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

As was said above you can't go wrong with a Weber. I have the one with the sear station and the side burner:

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/g.../genesis-e-330

The sear station is great for cooking steaks.

For smoking I have the Weber Smokey Mountain aka Weber Bullet.

Comment

Working...
                              X