Brisket in the Egg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisket in the Egg

I tried a brisket in my Green Egg grill the other day. It turned out great! Simple and easy to do as well. I took a 9-pound piece of meat and coated it with "Butt Rub" seasoning and garlic salt, then set in in the Egg over a pan of apple cider to add some moisture to the mix. It smoked over indirect heat for 18 hours at just under 200*. I only opened the lid a few times toward the end to check the internal temp. and tenderness, otherwise it just sat and smoked. When it came off the grill, it got wrapped in foil and put in an ice chest for a couple hours before serving. It came out super tender! Definitely something I'll be doing again......
    1973 Bronco: 302, C4 auto, stock interior, stock drivetrain, 3.50 gears, power brakes, twin-stick, 3.5" WH suspension, 33" Goodyear MTR, Mile-Marker hydraulic winch

Re: Brisket in the Egg

Oh man... I skipped lunch and my stomach is growling after reading this. I think I need to smoke a brisket this weekend.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

When smoking brisket, do you guys cut off all the fat? or leave it for moisture. The last one I tried didnt turn out as expected.
      {o===o}
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
      Originally posted by CityHick
      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I've never done this so excuse me if this is a stupid question.... why do you put it in an ice chest?
        Vacaville, Ca
        67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

I trim the fat to about 1/4" max. and smoke it fat side down.

The idea with the ice chest is it gives the meat a chance to "rest" before slicing it. Just wrap it up in some foil and put it in an empty ice chest. It works great to keep the heat in the meat and it kinda' gives it a chance for the juices to flow a bit. Really makes a difference.....
          1973 Bronco: 302, C4 auto, stock interior, stock drivetrain, 3.50 gears, power brakes, twin-stick, 3.5" WH suspension, 33" Goodyear MTR, Mile-Marker hydraulic winch

Comment

If you do the "whole" brisket, not just the flat portion, there is a thick hard white chunk you cut off between the flat and the point. If you are doing just the flat, it is difficult to keep from drying out after all the hours in the heat, but leaving a lot of fat on may keep the meat from retaining the smoke. Id leave 1/4 too. I would inject with flavored broth, and cook with fat side down. Some cook fat side up and claim it trickles down through the meat (probably does), but for me I don't have a heat diffuser in mine and cook right over the fire. Therefore, I like the fat to protect the meat and this way it also drips onto the fire creating more flavor.
            “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

How did you only open the lid 4 times and keep it going for 18 hours? Everytime I add fuel to my egg I have to open the lid... What's the trick on the constant temp over that amount of time?

Comment

I just loaded it up with lump charcoal over a fire started down low and centered. Once it was burning good, I tossed in a healthy amount of soaked smoke chips all around and dampered it down. It smoked for 18 hours at about 200* with the brisket. Heck, once that came off I cleaned things up and brought the temp up to grill some other stuff for the wife. When I was done with that I closed the vents and let it die out still leaving enough coal in there for another fire at some point. This Egg is super efficient with good charcoal. I'm always impressed with how little it uses to get the job done.

As for keeping the temperature consistent, you just have to adjust the dampers until you get it where you want it. I find that it does not fluctuate much once you get it set. The less you open the lid the better.....
                Last edited by Hank; 11-13-2010, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Sounds like I need to use more charcoal. Thanks forth tip!

Comment

Working...
                  X