Smoked tri-tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked tri-tip

I did a little experimenting with my smoker today. There are those who say that Tri Tip is not a "smoking meat", but its what I had, and my results were very good.

I started with a large tri-tip, coated it lightly with Pappys, followed by some crushed raw garlic, followed by some chili powder. I set my smoker to 250-300 degrees with lump charcoal and a log of seasoned almond wood. The tri-tip smoked for about two hours and came off when it reached about 160 degrees. While it didn't taste quite like the typical Santa Maria style tri-tip, it was damn good. The juices were flowing out of it when I poked it with the thermometer.

I want to try this again with a different cut of meat sometime soon.

FYI, my smoker is actually a gas grill that doubles as a smoker by using a side fire box. I don't turn the gas burners on while smoking unless I need more heat, and then its the farthest away burner on very low. I've been able to regulate the temp with the side fire box much better than when I used to use a drum smoker.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Smoked tri-tip

Sounds good. 160 is a little done for me.

I cook to 125 internal at 225 degrees smoke. Then pull out of smoker and grill on high heat to carmalize sugars in my rub. Wrap in foil for min 20 min before cutting.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Re: Smoked tri-tip

I like the idea of grilling on high heat to finish it, I think that's what it was missing. I was really happy with how evenly the meat was cooked though - and the foil at the end goes without saying.

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
      Sounds good. 160 is a little done for me.

I cook to 125 internal at 225 degrees smoke. Then pull out of smoker and grill on high heat to carmalize sugars in my rub. Wrap in foil for min 20 min before cutting.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Working...
      X