Off Topic - outdoor kitchens and BBQ islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Topic - outdoor kitchens and BBQ islands

I wanted to start a thread about a project I'll be starting up pretty soon - mainly to solicit ideas from you all, but also to share my progress once I actually get started.

Two years ago I expanded my back yard patio. More recently I bought a Kamado Joe cooker. I have since gotten very skilled at using the Kamado, it is a lot of fun and even the mistakes are usually pretty damn tasty.

I am looking to up my backyard cooking game even further now. My current plan is to build what's basically a BBQ island but is starting to morph into an outdoor kitchen. I have a very nice Weber Genesis gas grill and the Kamado Joe; both will be integral parts of my design. The Kamado Joe will actually be built into the island, the Weber Genesis will have its side table and side burner removed, and will roll into an alcove in the island.

The general shape is an equal-length "L" shape wrapping around the side and back of my patio. Each leg will be 10' long by 30" deep. Given that the counter depth is 30" (2.5'), from the perspective of the patio, each leg is 7.5' long. The Kamado will be in the corner that's formed by the two legs; the Weber Genesis will be in the alcove that I descried, towards the end of one of the legs.

I have almost convinced myself to expand the patio farther such that it wraps around the back side of one of the legs, where I'll overhang the counter top and set 4 bar stools, such that people sitting there will be facing the patio; their backs will be to the side fence.

I will be running at least one electrical circuit for outlets and maybe some low voltage accent lighting. I have water already very near where the island will be located so I'm going to stem in a water pipe. The most I'll use it for is a small bar sink with only cold water. It will likely drain to a french drain type arrangement under a planter bed. It will not be used for anything aside from occasional washing of hands etc.

It will be framed with steel studs, likely faced with stucco, and likely a simple tile counter top,though I may entertain prefab granite if I can find a good enough deal.

People at work have built similar islands and they are all telling me I'll regret not running coax cable and cat-5 network cable so that one day I can put a TV out there. I am not sure that'll ever happen but cable is cheap and so is conduit.

Any suggestions are appreciated. If I find the motivation this weekend I might start digging the area out for the concrete pad. A trip to Tahoe next week will slow progress a bit, and I am easily pulled away from things like this for more fun stuff in the summertime... but I'll get there.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Off Topic - outdoor kitchens and BBQ islands

Do the conduit at the very least!

Comment

I have always wondered about the kamado cookers are they that good? and would you need a gas grill with it out there? or just more options? and I would suggest putting up kamado tips (or send them to me! I am always looking for good cooking tips)

I always say "I am lazy! so I always do it right the first time instead of having to do it over" that would include probably coax, 2 cat6 and electrical (even if you dont use them, they are there incase you need them) I was considering a patio kitchen and I would love to put in a mini fridge on a harbor freight creeper dolly thingy. that way you can put it in the mancave for beer! (when not in use) and have an instant patio bar with a place to keep sauces, meat and ice type stuff
      depending on the height of your patio maybe you can put tall bar stools in on the concrete pad?

I would suggest bio degradable soap also... (especially if you have a garden near) or just a good sized container that can be emptied.
      '67 4bbl 351w 3spd 4.11 3.5'' 33'' Workin Project!
      Most people will never imagine what Me and My Bronco have been through.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage View Post
        I have always wondered about the kamado cookers are they that good? and would you need a gas grill with it out there? or just more options? and I would suggest putting up kamado tips (or send them to me! I am always looking for good cooking tips)

I always say "I am lazy! so I always do it right the first time instead of having to do it over" that would include probably coax, 2 cat6 and electrical (even if you dont use them, they are there incase you need them) I was considering a patio kitchen and I would love to put in a mini fridge on a harbor freight creeper dolly thingy. that way you can put it in the mancave for beer! (when not in use) and have an instant patio bar with a place to keep sauces, meat and ice type stuff
        depending on the height of your patio maybe you can put tall bar stools in on the concrete pad?

I would suggest bio degradable soap also... (especially if you have a garden near) or just a good sized container that can be emptied.
        I love my Kamado Joe, it is absolutely my favorite way to cook almost anything. They are so versatile, you can get them up over 800 degrees which some people like to do for pizzas etc. You can also get them to set in for a low and slow 200 degree smoking session for 18-24 hours with ease. They burn so little fuel when you are cooking at lower temps (say, 400 or lower).
        I have kept my gas grill because it is really handy for quick weeknight cooks or anytime that I don't want my clothes to smell like a campfire - ie if I am going out later after cooking dinner. Some say use gas for anything that's not going to benefit from charcoal/smoke flavor. I like the versatility of having both so that is why I have kept both. In reality the gas grill is basically an ourdoor oven. I have baked things in it when I don't want that heat inside the house, etc.

I am moving through my outdoor kitchen project but have not updated anything here. Some of these guys know me on facebook and have seen what I am building. I will try to remember to add some photos here soon, maybe this weekend.

I am running one circuit of 110v power and one run of low voltage cable. Undecided on coax/cat5 etc. Probably will not bother.

Thanks for the suggestions and thanks for reminding me that I started this thread...
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

All I have to say is a TV and a beer fridge inspires me to be a better outdoor cook.
          When my TV went out I lost inspiration. I make hot dogs for a hour so I get the last innings and a couple beers happen to go down. Don't tell my wife hotdogs only take 20-30 minutes
          Last edited by pipelayer; 08-09-2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

It's them hot dogs with the special brew that take so long and make them taste so good!
            I used to drink A beer and my wife never caught on that it was a 40oz till my daughter ratted me out!
            I am kinda techy, so I would probably install a PI3 and a couple monitors (worst case I could make special recipes off the internet while cooking with my special brew)
            and I totally understand the gas grill now, keep all the hot stuff outside on a hot day.

Comment

I guess I forgot that I'd started this thread. Almost 6 months later and I'm still not done, but I am close enough to "done" that I figured I'd share some pictures. The stucco needs to be painted, and the plumbing hooked up but in all other aspects, this project is done and I am now using my outdoor kitchen. It has been a long project with its share of frustrations and delays, but I am very happy to be at the point I've finally reached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	275045Click image for larger version

Name:	beer.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	275046Click image for larger version

Name:	grills.jpg
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	275047Click image for larger version

Name:	joe.jpg
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	275048Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	275049
              Last edited by CityHick; 11-06-2017, 11:40 AM.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

Nice kitchen Tony. Now lets see that permit!
                67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Alright!! that looks really good, and you still have enough room on the side for a hot tub
                  If I knew what kinda beer that was I would consider putting it onto my desktop

Comment

Originally posted by 69crawler View Post
                    Nice kitchen Tony. Now lets see that permit!

Originally posted by Savage View Post
                    Alright!! that looks really good, and you still have enough room on the side for a hot tub
                    If I knew what kinda beer that was I would consider putting it onto my desktop

Thanks man.
                    Yes I have tons of room for a hot tub... might be worked into future landscaping changes actually.
                    The beer was a Drake's Denogginizer. I don't have a pint glass from drake's yet.
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

Awesome, Tony!

Better half has said sure to one of these when we move out Of the city. Probably into some semi enclosed unit on a deck.

Comment

I also have a Kamado Joe and they are amazing! Best thanksgiving turkey I’ve ever had was cooked in it! My dad and brother both have traegers and love those too. I have a gas grill for quick stuff but it needs new burners. Nice outdoor kitchen Tony! I’ll have to look into doing something like that.
                        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Thanks Jacob. I almost forgot that I even had this thread here.
                          Kamado cooking is really a lot of fun. I had my sister and nieces here for an afternoon of pizza making and that was really the most fun outdoor cooking "event" that I have used my outdoor kitchen for yet.
                          Usually one night a week I have friends over for dinner and drinks and lately it's all been out there, which is also a fun use for that space. I am getting a lot more use out of my back yard now that I have a focal point for hanging out. It is a nice luxury. I know what I would do differently if I were to build another outdoor space like this. For one I think that the poured "foundation" slab for this needs to be elevated above grade like how houses that are built on slabs are built. That way the bottom plate does not really have to act as a moisture barrier. I have sealed mine up pretty well but I think that water intrusion in heavy rain is a fact of life. It is a minor problem, but it is a flaw.

I am probably going to add some lighting to the island as well - but going about this in a retrofit manner versus building it in originally... not ideal. I might have added an outdoor fridge as well, but my indoor kitchen is just steps away from this.

Anyway... I highly recommend anybody who has even thought about something like this, to pull the trigger and build it or have one built!
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	82C7FB38-38B9-43BA-AF4A-93A8BE800CC5.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	317970
                            my little but functional bbq area for now. Smoker should fit under the table where I gonna put a second propane tank.

Comment

Working...
                            X