I started smoking again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I started smoking again...

Well I trashed my old Brinkmann smoker which had been in the process of self-destructing for several years. My last attempt to use it was enough to convince me there was a better way. I spent far too many months comparing various types of smokers/grills before deciding that I wanted a Kamado style grill.

I had just about decided on getting a Primo oval and then I saw a Kamado Joe "road show" special at Costco. I happened to have $160 in Costco membership reward money, and another $80 in Costco Cash cards on me... so long story short a red Kamado Joe Classic came home with me on Sunday.

Assembly was easy, build quality is on-par with Primo grills that I've been around, and the fully welded, iron cart for it is quite sturdy. The iron wheeled cart is only going to be used until I build a BBQ island which will be built around my Kamado Joe - but as that may be a while the cart is a nice bonus.

I broke it in with a pork tenderloin, with a simple dry rub and a side of grilled asparagus. The results were pretty fantastic. Temperature control is far easier than any other charcoal-fired grill or smoker than what I've ever used before. It's pretty cool that I can basically "shut down" the fire and re-light the charcoal again for my next grill/smoke session. The ceramic body retains heat like no other, and from what I have read, maintaining a fire for 10+ hours without adding fuel seems to be the norm.

I am going to play with it a few more times before I commit to smoking something big - get my comfort level up a bit more but so far the learning curve is pretty steep. I am very happy with my purchase. And of course here's a few teaser shots of my first results from Sunday.

Attached Files
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: I started smoking again...

Looks great Tony. Next time let me know. I can be at your house in 2 1/2 hours.

Comment

Looks great.... I am wanting to smoke me up some pastrami pretty soon.......Myself I don't need a lot of smoke but a little and the long cook make it so good.
      Jack
      73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

I don't need a lot of smoke on my food either, but the low and slow approach really creates some amazing food. What I really like about the Kamado is that it easily doubles as a grill that can achieve searing temps above 600 degrees as well as settle in on smoking temps around 200 degrees. I want to try baking in it too - there are so many recipes and so much that it can do.

Last night I cooked a small tri-tip using the reverse sear method, taking advantage of the "divide and conquer" grill setup. I set the grill temp to around 300 degrees and set the tri-tip on the high side of the grill rack, above a heat deflector. Got it up to 125ish there, then opened the vents, got the grill up to 500 degrees or so, and seared the tri-tip on both sides. It was great. No pictures though...
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Working...
        X