Got my smoker back... now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my smoker back... now what?

Anybody out there using the cheap Brinkmann charcoal smoker?

I was "storing" mine at my parents' house for several years... honestly haven't even looked at the thing in at least 3 or 4 years and my memory is fading on all my old tricks to get the thing to maintain temperature, etc. It is in good shape and I want to start using it again since I have it.

First up is going to be a smoked brisket. Why brisket? I don't know, it sounds good.

Think I'm going to start with some of the widely publicized mods that people do to help with airflow, but beyond that any hints are appreciated. If I get back into this with good results, who knows maybe I'll get something nicer.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Got my smoker back... now what?

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
    Anybody out there using the cheap Brinkmann charcoal smoker?

I was "storing" mine at my parents' house for several years... honestly haven't even looked at the thing in at least 3 or 4 years and my memory is fading on all my old tricks to get the thing to maintain temperature, etc. It is in good shape and I want to start using it again since I have it.

First up is going to be a smoked brisket. Why brisket? I don't know, it sounds good.

Think I'm going to start with some of the widely publicized mods that people do to help with airflow, but beyond that any hints are appreciated. If I get back into this with good results, who knows maybe I'll get something nicer.
    when we visited bennie in georgia a couple of weeks ago, we saw a smoker in every yard and bennie made us ribs and beer can chicken...it was awesome!!!! so...we bought one on saturday...and we just put some ribs on. i'm super excited about having a smoker and i'll be watching for any tips you get

Comment

This page details a lot of weaknesses present in the Brinkman smoker that I own, as well as fixes he devised and/or adapted from others:

http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm

I am not going to go that crazy with mine but do plan to add a grate in the charcoal pan as mine has definitely smothered itself out before. May add some venting as well but going to start simple. I recall that temperature regulation was a little difficult.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Let us know how your first fire goes. I want a smoker. I've been doing it on my Weber. Chips on one side and water pan on the other. The ribs come out great!
        Attached Files

Comment

success! but...room for improvement! and yes...we fixed the handle.

Last edited by BratsMom; 09-15-2014, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Nice, Alma and Wade. Going to put a little work into mine and see what happens. I've done two thanksgiving turkeys and some other stuff in mine but it's been a while. I had a char griller gas grill with side smoker box but upgraded to a Weber genesis. My dad got a traeger (which kicks ass) so I repossessed my Brinkman.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Nice, Alma and Wade. Going to put a little work into mine and see what happens. I've done two thanksgiving turkeys and some other stuff in mine but it's been a while. I had a char griller gas grill with side smoker box but upgraded to a Weber genesis. My dad got a traeger (which kicks ass) so I repossessed my Brinkman.
              Thanks tony! That was our first...thanks to a short work-day today and help from Bennie via text.

Comment

This page details a lot of weaknesses present in the Brinkman smoker that I own, as well as fixes he devised and/or adapted from others:

http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm

I am not going to go that crazy with mine but do plan to add a grate in the charcoal pan as mine has definitely smothered itself out before. May add some venting as well but going to start simple. I recall that temperature regulation was a little difficult.
                I had an ECB (El Cheapo Brinkman). I didn't those mods although not as sophisticated as the one in the link. It helped a bunch although still not as good as a Weber Smokey Mountain aka Weber Bullet. I finally wound up biting the bullet (pun intended) and bought a Weber Bullet.

Comment

Here's a site with good info even if you are not using a Weber Bullet:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com

Comment

I picked up a 7-ish pound brisket and am going to try my luck at smoking it tomorrow or Sunday. I added a real thermometer (similarly to what was done on the link above), and added a charcoal grate to the bottom pan. My smoker has quite a bit more rust on it than I remember, and the main body is out of round, requiring a little coaxing to get back to shape such that the lid fit properly.
                    I have quite a bit of lump charcoal along with some hardwood. It's going to be an adventure trying to remember how to regulate temperature. Shooting for a 200-225 degree cooking temp, for an hour or so per pound. I know this is going to make me want to upgrade or build an UDS.
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

You may need help eating a brisket that size Tony!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brats71 View Post
                        You may need help eating a brisket that size Tony!!
                        It was the smallest one I could find. I agree... will need help. Will also vacuum seal portions and freeze them for lunch meat, etc.
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

Tony you want to shoot for an internal temp in the meat of about 190 degrees. That may sound high but it needs to get that high to break down the fat and connective tissue. It may take longer than one hour per pound. Also with brisket you can run your smoker at 250 degrees with no problem. After about 3-4 hours it's probably taken all the smoke it's going to take so I like to wrap my brisket in foil with a little beer and continue cooking until it reaches 190.

Comment

190 degrees is the plan, have been reading a number of recipes and that's the consensus view. I am sure that my smoker temp will vary quite a bit through this process, it always does.
                            I have a light coat of olive oil and a simple dry rub applied to it, will start the fire in a little bit, and let it cook as I work on my Bronco today.
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

Still cooking... been on since 10:30am and still chugging along. Smoker is running hot but I am getting good life out of the lump charcoal and hardwood that I am using.

Wrapped it in foil a little while ago (its around 165 degrees) and it was SO juicy. Wrapping should help it stop venting off liquid (hence cooling it) and raise the temp the final 15-20 degrees. It has certainly reduced in weight but damn I'm going to have a lot of meat. I chose a bad weekend, most of my friends are out of town... but as nobody's around I had no real reason to go anywhere, so I was here most of the day to check on it.

Now I want a meat slicer..
                              1970 Bronco
                              My build thread

Comment

Working...
                              X