smokin on the grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokin on the grill

I did a rack of pork ribs on the Char-Broil with hickory chips in the foil packet...now I have the smoking bug. Looking at plans to build one. anyone build their own?

Re: smokin on the grill

I have a Char Griller Kamado that I got from Lowe's that works really well. For building one a design that people like is the Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS).
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...um-Smoker-UDS/

Comment

I was looking at those. I was going to make one out of stuff I have lying around. Since I'm in the office furniture business, I was thinking one of these!
      Attached Files

Comment

That's pretty cool....I built an ugly drum smoker, I like.
        Jack
        73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

the drum is cool. it's only my wife and I so I'm going to do a test project. I picked out my subject. I'll do a propane burner with a chip bin in the bottom. A water/drip pan in the middle and rack on top. I have lot's of files.
          Attached Files

Comment

Kind looks like a cold smoker. I'd be curious how you regulate your temps and keep you meet away from direct heat. I just started smoking myself and it's addicting, the tri tip I did for my wife's work yesterday was out of this world.
            72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

I threw it together. I'm gonna take it home and make a nice fire in it to burn out all the 'stuff'. I's will give me a chance to get the vents right.
              I switched the drawers around so I'd have the big one on top for meat.
              The middle for drip/water
              The bottom is the fire box.
              Attached Files

Comment

I would put the smoke stack in one of the back corners and bring it all the way down to the cooking surface. This will assure that you are trapping the max amount of hot smoke in the cooking chamber.
                Does the second drawer have a bottom to hold water tins and catch drops but ventilation to allow smoke threw?
                72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

The level of hillbilly ingenuity on this site never ceases to amaze me - bring what'cha got right?

I have considered building an ugly drum smoker for years, and as my back yard is quickly becoming a victim of the California drought, ideas for building some form of permanent smoker have been crossing my mind. I have a smoker that's a commercially produced, smaller UDS clone of sorts but I store it at my parents house 70+ miles away and use it there more often than at home.

This drawer idea has the wheels turning... hmm.
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

I think it's a great idea, Good job. I'm Also thinking about building a smoker in the back hard out of red brick and possibly having the ability to cold smoke as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X