turkey fryer advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turkey fryer advice

The wife just said she wants a fried turkey for thanksgiving and put me incharge. Where's the best place to buy the fryer kit? Any good recipe ideas?
    1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Re: turkey fryer advice

Well I see no one has responded so far so I will. I have never personally done one so take my advise with a grain of salt. I have friends that have done it and I've watched it done. You can get the frier anywhere, Costco, Wallmart, most hardware stores, Amazon, etc.

As far as recipes you can Google that. The trickiest part is getting the right amount of oil in the pot so when you put the turkey in the oil doesn't overflow and you burn the house down. Some folks put water in the pot then the turkey then mark the level so they know how much oil to put in. Be aware that the oil expands when heated so you don't fill the oil completely up to the mark you made with the water. Make sure and dry the turkey thoroughly otherwise when the water hits the oil it will turn to steam and splatter like crazy

Getting the cooking time right is also tricky. I've had some really bad deep fried turkey. Make sure you keep it away from any combustible surface and keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Good luck and post your results.

Comment

I never fried a bird bit I did eat some and they are pretty good. What time is dinner? Get a fryer that doubles as a smoker so it's not just a one trick pony.like this good for camping to

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-...550/202018216/

Comment

I have fried a turkey every Thanksgiving for the last five or six years. I have found the Alton Brown recipe on FoodNetwork.com to work pretty well. Letting it soak in a brine for 6 to 8 hours is about enough. If you brine it 8 to 16 like in the recipe I find it gets too salty.
        Most cookers have an oil line on them, mine is pretty accurate, but you can put the turkey in the cooker and add water till it covers the bird or gets to the line. Just count how much water you put in.
        Make sure the turkey is thawed and dried completely before lowering into pot. And use a tool to keep your hands and arms away from the pot while you lower or raise the turkey out of the pot.
        Put the turkey in at about 250 to 300* and raise the temp to your cooking temp, if it's too hot when you put it in it will blacken the skin.
        Check the temp after 30 to 35 minutes and remember the temp will keep rising after you take it out. I like to cover mine in aluminum foil after taking it out to fully cook and rest before cutting. They come out great.
        Have a great Thanks giving, Mike.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
        Last edited by Mcdobson; 11-11-2013, 01:09 PM.

Comment

As far as buying a fryer, you can find them just about everywhere. I think I bought mine at Orchard Supply. It's pretty thin but it has lasted a long time.
          Staples has them, Ace hardware's usually have them or if you want a heavy duty unit, check out the restaurant supply stores.

Comment

I've fried a bunch of turkeys both for TG and Christmas. The brine works really well as does the injectors. BBQs Galore or any specialty spot will have great selections for both. Every fryer is pretty much the same concept, just depends how much $$ you want to spend, the burner also works great for home brewing as well..

Like above, measure with water (if injecting, inject first then measure..boyles law..) and dry it. In the past I've "conditioned the oil" with a drumstick or two but that really isn't necessary. Keep and eye on the temps (good reason to have the cooler of beer close by) it'll drop significantly at first, rise slow then take off if you are not careful. I always put down a sheet or two of cardboard for all the spatter and have an exting. close by just in case.

(Job Security clause here......do it OUTSIDE in the OPEN, pref on dirt or concrete...don't want to see you on the news...)

Sean
            '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Great thread guys, thanks for all the info. One of these years I am going to buy a fryer and haul it up to my folks place, and tell my mom the oven is all her's for the day. I've smoked a couple of birds with mixed results, frying one has always had me curious.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

Smoking one has me scared I don't think I could do it knowing its the only bird hitting the table, it would need to be the back up just in case I F'ed up. And then take front stage if it was good.

Comment

The fryer also doubles as a good crab cooking pot. Get that water boiling and 8 to 10 minutes and 6 to 8 crabs are cooked.

Comment

Turkey is always good and the oil will keep if it is strained. So fry up one now to try out the cooking process. I hate to waste a whole container of oil on one turkey.

Comment

X2

If you're gonna do a fish fry, do it last (before you toss it) A fishy turkey doesn't go over too well.....
                      '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Does a fishy smell/taste ever go good with anything besides fish?

The wife has been looking at oilless fryers at various chain stores, oilless sounds like an oven to me.
                        1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

Originally posted by jperry1290 View Post
                          The wife just said she wants a fried turkey for thanksgiving and put me incharge. Where's the best place to buy the fryer kit? Any good recipe ideas?
                          How did your turkey frying experience work out?

Comment

Working...
                          X