Bronco 4-link pics and ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronco 4-link pics and ideas

Well in trying to decide the best way to link the rear of the bronco I have found a few pics, I thought I would share them with all of you. If any one else has some more to add I would like to see them. Any comments good or bad about these are welcome.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by highlander; 03-16-2007, 03:17 PM.
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

This one isn't a Bronco but is a liitle diffrent way of doing the upper links that uses leaf spring bushings instead of JJ or rod ends making it a little less expensive.
    Attached Files
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

I like the design on the second one, you cant beat the simplicity of it. I think having your lower arms as far down as possible without interfering with ground clearance is the ticket.
      As for the first one and the duff proto-type, i would think that the huge bracket they weld on to the top of the rear housing would limit the 4 link in upward travel. but then i guess thats what BL are for.
      The last one mounted the lowers where i think they would work best, i don't know what to say about the beefy single upper and single center pivot.

this one is sweet
      Attached Files
      72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Highlander,

When I loged on today, I was reading your thread in projects, and was thinking that I should start a thread (like this) for a place for pic's/ideas. Glad I'm not the only one trying to learn more about link suspensions.

Galen
        Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
        I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Those 4 links look pretty easy.. Don't get me wrong.. I know the angles and geometry is the hard part.. But Clean looking not a lot of clutter.. All the premade brackets now available helps.. I tried to order Jonny Joints today and they are Backorderd..

Aaron
          KK6DAD
          70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Maybe we could start with some definitions?

I keep seeing these words, but don't totally understand what they are refering to.

anti-sqaut
            roll center
            roll axis
            instant center

Comment

The last post on this has few good links that I have learned a lot from.
              http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...howtopic=58560

Comment

Those 4 links look pretty easy.. Don't get me wrong.. I know the angles and geometry is the hard part.. But Clean looking not a lot of clutter.. All the premade brackets now available helps.. I tried to order Jonny Joints today and they are Backorderd..
                Where did you try to order the JJ from?
                This is a good tool for figuring out the Geometry, you have to guess your center of gravity but by playing with it you get a pretty good idea of how the geometry effect things. (most use there crank shaft height as the center of gravity)
                http://www.gregblanchette.com/pages/1/index.htm

I would post the file with all the dimensions I think I want right now plugged in, but you can't post excel files. I could email it if any one is interested.
                Last edited by highlander; 03-16-2007, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Found some one local is selling his johnny joints for 60% of new and no shipping costs so am thinknig of getting some in preperation for the rear suspension but at the same time also gonna enjoy two weeks off with pay and get some work done on my EB as well look at some F250s to use as a tow rig......

Comment

What rate rear springs will a Bronco need?

Comment

I don't know, but when you find the answer let me know, right now my best guess is somwhere around 275-300# spring rate.

Comment

I was getting my Jonny joints from Poly performance.. They said they are back ordered.. So I checked Summit and the same.. Checked Currie..and they are the back order source.. So I will wait a couple of weeks..

Aaron
                        Attached Files
                        KK6DAD
                        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

HERE is a link to a guys profile on the Pirate board who has an excellent 4 link calculator. In his profile, click on the "4-link calculator" link and will open the file.

Comment

That looks like the same one I posted earlier!

Comment

I take that back, it is the same but yours is a newer revision, nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X