What cam for 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cam for 5.0

ok so the 1st of the year is a little off what cam are you guys using?
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

FW XE258HR-12

This is the Comp Cams grind number.
    1300 RPM and up. I pm'd you the same, plus additional information.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Thanks now all I need is the Bronco Queen to say yes
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Are you guys using flat tappet cams?

Comment

Mine and Delta's are roller cams.

Comment

I looked up the grind specs on that cam, I was really surprised how much lift it has: .533 intake and .544 exhaust.

For any one interested in all the specs the advertised duration is 258 int. 266 exh. and @.050" lift is 208 int. 218 exh. Lobe separation angle is 112°, RPM range 1300-5300.

I am real curious to see how it works when Patrick gets his going again, I have a very similar motor w/ a E303 cam.
            69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

See, with the short duration and TALL lift, it allows the valve to lift way open, pull in the fuel mixture, and then close quickly which maximizes all of the piston squish which greatly increases cylinder pressure+more torque...way more.

I had the E303 in for a few weeks and took it out then sold it to a mustang guy...loved the power, but the low end didn't work for my set-up.
              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I noticed the duration specs, kind of like advancing the cam with a degreed timing set. How is the mid to high range?

Is there any piston clearance problems, I currently have the GT 40 X heads w/ 1.7 ratio rockers and a 342 stroker (the pistons are fly cut).
                69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Hmmmm, I'm not sure about the X heads. Those aluminum...correct? I am running the GT-40 Iron heads and dish, fly cut pistons and I don't have clearance issues. My heads have been shaved too, for more compression. But I am running a 1.6 roller rocker, I don't know if your 1.7's would put the valves into your pistons or not?? I would call Comp Cams and asked them. They could tell you.

Comment

The lift on the E303 w/ 1.7 rockers is within a couple hundredths of the comp cam w/ 1.6 rockers, but with 1.7 it would have about 7 hundreths more.

Comment

Interesting cam info

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
                      FW XE258HR-12

This is the Comp Cams grind number.
                      1300 RPM and up. I pm'd you the same, plus additional information.
                      Sounds like that cam may be the answer to my long saga of trying to kill my warm-start idle surge and general lack of low end grunt. Like some of the others here I have an Exploder 5.0 with p heads. When I did my swap 7 years ago I could find almost no useful info on what cam to use, let alone anything about dropping an Explorer engine into an EB. I went with a Crane 2031 on advice from the Mustang crowd. I can see where that cam would be entertaining in a Mustang, but not in a Bronco. Other projects have kept bumping a re-cam to the bottom of the list, but it's finally floated to the top. Glad I discovered this thread!
                      1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                      I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars
                        Sounds like that cam may be the answer to my long saga of trying to kill my warm-start idle surge and general lack of low end grunt. Like some of the others here I have an Exploder 5.0 with p heads. When I did my swap 7 years ago I could find almost no useful info on what cam to use, let alone anything about dropping an Explorer engine into an EB. I went with a Crane 2031 on advice from the Mustang crowd. I can see where that cam would be entertaining in a Mustang, but not in a Bronco. Other projects have kept bumping a re-cam to the bottom of the list, but it's finally floated to the top. Glad I discovered this thread!

Hey Lars, what's going on? Nice to see you here. Welcome!

You will love this cam! I got a slightly different cam than Delta, the Comp Cams part # 35-308-8. Either one will work great for our application. CLICK for the specs on this cam. This cam will dramatically increase your bottom end. Let me know if you have any more questions about it. See ya!

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68

You will love this cam! I got a slightly different cam than Delta, the Comp Cams part # 35-308-8. Either one will work great for our application. CLICK for the specs on this cam. This cam will dramatically increase your bottom end. Let me know if you have any more questions about it. See ya!

Patrick
                          Thanks, Patrick. I pm'd Delta for some more information also. I've been staying away from the Bronco online world for some time. Too many other projects consuming my time. I've been driving it more regularly since the weather turned, and so I've started a 2007 "to-do" list. Cam is one of them. I take it your engine is up & running again?

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68

Patrick
                            OK, I just looked at the specs for your cam. It appears to be a little milder than the XE258HR-12. It has been pointed out to me that the stock computer doesn't like lobe separation angles less than 114°, which is the spec for all stock Mustang cams. The XE258HR-12 has a 112° LSA, whereas the cam you are running is at 114°. I take it you have a nice smooth idle? Why did you go with that cam instead? I know, zillions of questions, but swapping cams takes enough time & money that I don't feel like doing it more than once. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Lars
                              OK, I just looked at the specs for your cam. It appears to be a little milder than the XE258HR-12. It has been pointed out to me that the stock computer doesn't like lobe separation angles less than 114°, which is the spec for all stock Mustang cams. The XE258HR-12 has a 112° LSA, whereas the cam you are running is at 114°. I take it you have a nice smooth idle? Why did you go with that cam instead? I know, zillions of questions, but swapping cams takes enough time & money that I don't feel like doing it more than once. Thanks!

I had two main goals that I wanted to accomplish with a cam. Lots of low end torque and a smooth idle. You are correct in that I do have a nice smooth idle. At 135:1 crawl ratio, I did not want a "lopey" idle. This cam also provides a high steep lift curve on the intake lobes with a short duration to create the velocity of the air/fuel mixture packing into the combustion chamber needed to make torque.

With my stock 5.0 cam, I couldn't even idle over a street curb. Now I can idle up things like THIS

Now to be fair, all of that didn't come from just a cam swap. I also built a 347 with GT-40 heads and Intake with a custom burned ECM chip. But the cam was a huge contributing factor.

Comment

Working...
                              X