Rear bumper/cooler rack
    Explorer Serp starts here
    c02 setup
    New motor starts here
    Long arms
    Driver's seat
    Passenger seat
    Rotating inner c's

Well I finally got the front end wrapped up (Dana 44, detroit, 4.56, ch**y axles, new ball joints/ujoints, kiser riser) and needed a new project. I have been collecting EFI parts for what seems like years and decided to bite the bullet.

Plan: instal EFI on stock 302 for now, find a explorer motor for down the road

Parts:
    Explorer fuel rail,air tube, coolant tubes,upper, lower and TB
    Mustang MAf, computer, throttle cable
    RJM harness
    Kragen distributor
    almost all new sensors
    BC fuel lines, tank, fuel pump
    American Bronco EGR eliminator plate
    AEM dryflow air filter

Progress:
    I got the motor stripped and cleaned up. The fuel tank is in and metal lines are in, just need to connect both ends. I set the manifolds on the motor for mock up and already found a few "issues".

The vaccum ports on the upper are very close to the valve covers. In fact I cannot set the upper on with my oil fill cap in place. I either need a riser between the manifolds or new valve covers.

The stock Explorer air tube puts the filter right into my batteries (wild child dual tray with painless system). I might be able to bend it back a bit to clear. I need to get an air filter first. I want to use the stock air tube because it has a place for the ACT. There is no "boss" in my lower to drill and tap so I will extend the harness and put it in the tube. Custom tube is an alternate plan.

Explorer gaskets aren't going to work, need to order Bronco gaskets and see how they fit on the lower...

Need new intake bolts

Throttle cable will be interesting, not sure how I am going to run that. It looks like it will be a tight fit if I use the stock hole.

I am going th need help from all of you that have done it before, I am sure to have lots of questions. I figured I would document it to keep me motivated and to minimize and future problems.

Here is a couple pics, before and a mock up shot, more to come!

Anyone looking for a Quadrajet and manifold?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 6daze; 10-05-2012, 09:59 PM.
    71 Bronco
    EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
    Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Re: 6daze project

Looks like a good start. I would suggest getting a pair of mustange valve covers so that the filler is on the passanger side and no hole on the driver side. Makes it alot easier.

Comment

Looks like you're off to a great start there. Unfortunately I'm little to no help on the EFI stuff (yet)
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Rockbronco67 View Post
        Looks like a good start. I would suggest getting a pair of mustange valve covers so that the filler is on the passanger side and no hole on the driver side. Makes it alot easier.
        Why can't he just swap the vavle covers from left to right?
        Marc D.
        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
          Why can't he just swap the vavle covers from left to right?
          I didn't think about that...but the right valve cover has a breather in it.

Anything special about the stang valve covers? There are plenty of 5.0 cars in the pic-n-pulls but very few stangs.
          71 Bronco
          EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
          Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Originally posted by 6daze View Post
            I didn't think about that...but the right valve cover has a breather in it.

Anything special about the stang valve covers? There are plenty of 5.0 cars in the pic-n-pulls but very few stangs.
            Well if you look at the mustang motor you will see that the valve covers are closed, as in no additional incoming air. The only air inlet is the port on the oil fill. The ECU is calibrated for that pre engineered amount of air, if you add more air like using the factory Bronco covers, it can cause idling issues.

Now having said that, I have seen the factory covers used, and it was reported back that they worked fine with no issue.

Any of the EFI 5.0 car's valve covers should work fine. Looks Good so far!

Doug
            Last edited by 904Bronco; 01-14-2009, 06:48 PM.
            2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
            1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
            2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Well I finally got the front end wrapped up (Dana 44, detroit, 4.56, ch**y axles, new ball joints/ujoints, kiser riser) and needed a new project. I have been collecting EFI parts for what seems like years and decided to bite the bullet.

The vaccum ports on the upper are very close to the valve covers. In fact I cannot set the upper on with my oil fill cap in place. I either need a riser between the manifolds or new valve covers.

The stock Explorer air tube puts the filter right into my batteries (wild child dual tray with painless system). I might be able to bend it back a bit to clear. I need to get an air filter first. I want to use the stock air tube because it has a place for the ACT. There is no "boss" in my lower to drill and tap so I will extend the harness and put it in the tube. Custom tube is an alternate plan.

Need new intake bolts

Throttle cable will be interesting, not sure how I am going to run that. It looks like it will be a tight fit if I use the stock hole.
              the stang covers are much shorter than yours pictured. i used the bcb cables[c-4 kickdown] and throttle. anything in that corner is a tight fit.
              6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

Didn't get much done today, other projects prevailed...

Did however:

order gaskets, bolts, fuel pump block off

receive the EGR block off from American Bronco (thanks Scott) very fast and it looks good. Wish he included the bolts for the bracket...one more thing to get...

drilled the holes for the harness to go through the firewall, wow that was close, any lower and I would have been in the heater! I will measure it and post a good dimension.

Here is the pic of the day...and a teaser for the fuel system...
                Attached Files
                71 Bronco
                Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

if ya need harness info go here.
                  http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/
                  Jason Vander Veen
                  Placerville, CA.
                  http://www.rockzombies4x4.com

Comment

OK on to the fuel system...I am using the BC tank and a pump purchased from them. I also bought their lines....to be honest I have some issues with them.

They would probably be just perfect if you are doing a frame off. It is impossible to drill and tap where they reccomend with the motor in or body on. So far I got two holes tapped. I should be able to drill one more hole and put a self tapper in. But that is it....

My Atlas sits very close to the frame, right where the lines should be....I was able to run them just above this point.

The barbed ends of the lines are supposed to fit both a 3/8" and 5/16" rubber lines. Well the 3/8'"s is no problem, but is only needed from the tank to the supply (about 18"). The rest of the rubber line is 5/16". It is VERY tight on the fitting and therefore hard to install.

The lines end up on top of the frame right where the brake lines are....

I am using stock explorer fuel rail and braided lines that run along the valve cover towards the front of the motor. I should be able to use just a short section of rubber line between these and the BC lines.

I will post up some pics tomorrow.
                    71 Bronco
                    Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Pics...
                      Attached Files
                      71 Bronco
                      Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Here is the fuel diagram...I will initially just run the main tank and add the transfer pump later. Thought about using a high pressure pump as the transfer and therefore having a "backup" pump for my main pump. It would take some work but if it could get me off a trail somewhere....Just a thought.
                        Attached Files
                        71 Bronco
                        Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Lower intake manifold

I bought a gasket set a while ago for the Explorer that included several gaskets (upper, lower, tstat). When I laid the lower gaskets on the heads it was clear that they would not work.

The water port opening was too big on these and I don't think it would have sealed. There is just not enough gasket there.

So after a little research I ordered a set of Felpro 1250s. I had to modify them a little bit as they appear to made for different applications.

Also ordered up some stainless ARP bolts. Very nice

Pics
                          Attached Files
                          71 Bronco
                          Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Just thought I would throw this up here for reference...

Starting on the harness, I laid it all out and made labels for all the connectors and relays...a little AR but FFMDX will be proud
                            Attached Files
                            71 Bronco
                            Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

a little AR but FFMDX will be proud
                              It is not a Crime to be AR, otherwise know as Anal Retentive. Come to my house, my Wife will tell you that I wrote the book on AR. The only known cure, is to have kids. Those little people will make you change you tune real quick.

Great job so far 6daze, You make me want to start posting more pictures of my EFI conversion...
                              Last edited by 904Bronco; 01-25-2009, 02:20 PM.
                              2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                              1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                              2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Working...
                              X