Highlander's Bronco Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlander's Bronco Upgrades

Well I was supposed to go wheeling today with Crawln68, but I didn't get my rig back together so I spent some time fabbing up my track bar riser and ram assist mounts today. Here is what I came up with for my 78-79 HP D44 narrowed w/ BC's WAH, I used the cast track bar bolt hole to bolt up the bottom of the bracket. I still need to weld it to the housing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by highlander; 02-06-2007, 06:39 PM.
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Here is the ram set in place for test fitting, I need to shorten the BC track bar about an inch:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by highlander; 11-18-2006, 09:49 PM.
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

I know the track bar bend is backwards in this shot, but does it look like it will have better clearance this way?
      Attached Files

Comment

I like how your bracket is built to slide over the stock track bar mount. It is well thought out and clean. Nice job.
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

That looks like a great design. I'm glad that you had the extra time to work on it. Did you get the steering box all mounted up?

Comment

I'm done with all the frame mods, the box is in place waiting for some grade 8 bolts and a nut for the pitman arm. It took some time to rebuild the torn frame with tubes going through where the new bolts are. Then I had to make new plates for the sides since the other ones were for a bronco box. Today I hope to get the ram and track bar all welded up. There's not a lot of room to fit that ram in there.

So did you tear down the motor to see what happened yet?

Comment

Originally posted by highlander
              There's not a lot of room to fit that ram in there.

So did you tear down the motor to see what happened yet?

Boy your not kidding about not very much room in there. It gets pretty tight when you try to stuff that ram in there, huh?

Haven't touched the engine yet. I need to muster up the will to go start wrenching on it.

Comment

Nice design, I like the way the 3/4" bolt ties into it, reminds me of the one on FFMDX. Is that 1/4" steel??
                There's not a lot of room to fit that ram in there.
                That is no lie, just make sure as you cycle it unloaded you try to roll the tie rod back and forth on the tre's to identify if it might roll into a different angle and hit something. I know we ran into some issues when things moved under pressure unlike when everything is in the air, no tires and no resistence.
                Nice work, FM
                72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Yes, it is all 1/4" steel the main peace is a 90° section cut from 5"x8" tube Then the rest is all peaced in. The track bar bolt goes through a sleeve of 1.5" 3/8" wall tube that is boxed in the mount.
                  As far as clearance It is all close, the only thing that worries me some is the mount on the tie rod hitting the drag link. If the drag link was straight it wood be fine. I have a couple more things to wrap up and some bolts to fetch and then I will flex it to see if it clears.

Comment

Well I got it all back together and drove it into town (Shaver) and back. The new steering is a little to get used to, for some reason it turns easier to the right then left, not sure if it is the new box or ram assist? It doesn't seem to center after a turn either, might have to get some different c-bushings after I measure the caster. Other than that every thing is working well except I some how put a pin hole in the radiator while removing or installing it no biggie.
                    I twisted it on my trailer to see if every thing cleared, all the steering is good, I need to trim the fenders quite a bit in the front. I could drive the front all the way up the trailer 40" high and the back was still touching the ground but I could teeter it up by shaking the truck. When I backed it on I had no problem all the way to the top I had to be careful how I turned to keep the tires off the front fender. I had a lot more flex that way, after I get the fenders trimmed I will twist it with the backhoe and see what it does. I'll do it on flatter ground to get a more accurate measurement. My exhaust pipes also restrict the shackles from dropping all the way so I need some changes there, the 203 doubler will require some exhaust changes too when I get to that.
                    The side of the 37 x 14.50 rub on the rear inner fenders and stock shock mounts, but clear the front and back edges the back needs a little trim (about 1/4"). I will get some 1.5" wheel spacers to keep the tires from rubbing, this will make the back width almost the same as the front. I didn't have rear shocks in yet but I measured for the mount locations.
                    The front needs some major trimming I will get the outer cut and then I can turn the wheels to see what's in the way on the inners.
                    Here are some pics.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by highlander; 11-25-2006, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Nice!! Yahoo...time to get out the SAWZALL!!!!

Loks like it flexes real nice with the WAH.

Comment

Nice!! Yahoo...time to get out the SAWZALL!!!!
                        Or the plasma if I can figure out why it is eating up the tips.

Comment

Very nice job, like those tires
                          72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                          1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Well I got home from work around 3 today so I spent some time cutting the fenders for the raised warflares. I had a lot of inner fender clearance issues in the front so I cut all the spot welds and pushed them out as far as I could. I am hoping I gained enough in the front on the passenger side, I was limited by the battery supports. I couldn't find a good way to place the flare in the back with the gas caps so I welded up the holes and will let them pull out from behind.
                            Here some pics of what I accomplished. As you can tell by the pile of scraps I had to cut a lot.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by highlander; 02-06-2007, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I changed the title of this thread so it would suite all the additions. If it would be better in the project section feel free to move, admin.

Comment

Working...
                              X