might as well go full width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• might as well go full width

Well, here I go. About to embark on the full width swap. Looks like I'll be picking up a set of full widths from a 78 Bronco. I have a few months ahead of me but won't be doing most of it until after Christmas. I plan on building some long arms and copying Lars' set up. I currently have a built EB 9" with 31 spline axles and an ARB locker. I plan on using the carrier and pinion in the full width 9". So if you guys know of someone who is looking for a housing and axles with the breaks, let me know. I also am getting rid of the Dana 30, any takers? extra parts.

I plan on building a bracket to locate the coil springs closer to the buckets to prevent the Okie flex or just leave it as is, we'll see how I feel when I get there.

Good bye little axles

Re: might as well go full width

Just make sure you have enough lift for the HP 44. and shorty headers.
    Jack
    73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

trying to attach some pictures of the last run and the damn fix on Thousand Dollar Hill
      Attached Files

Comment

Just sold my set of long tubes and looking for some shorties. Anyone need the EB 9" housing and 31 spline axles?

Comment

Originally posted by 68olblue View Post
          Well, here I go.

I plan on building a bracket to locate the coil springs closer to the buckets to prevent the Okie flex or just leave it as is, we'll see how I feel when I get there.

Good bye little axles
          I would recommend boxing your spring buckets out. Cut buckets off, space them away from the frame however much you want and box them back in with 1/4 plate. I split the diff on mine and moves Cs in and boxed buckets out. It a pretty damn simple fix for the okie flex. Template your 1/4 plate from cardboard and use a band saw or cutoff wheel to cut em out. Simple and strong. Check out my build thread for pics.
          sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Comment

I might have some ceramic shorties from Summit if you need them. No O2 bungs, never installed. I won't be able to use them. Nick
            74, Banana yellow, on 4-Ton Jack stands, waiting for more overtime. Soon: 37's, NV4500, Atlas, Full width 44/9" sigpic

Comment

How much do you want for the shorties

Comment

Im all invested now. Just about to purchase a 1978 F250 HP Dana 44 8 lug. Maybe have a good deal on the matching FF dana 60 for the rear. That means I need to get rid of my wheels and entire rear axle (seen in the stuff for sale) . Excited to pick them up this week. Looks like stock 4.10 gears. Might go with the detroit for the rear.

question: Can I cut off the c wedges from my dana 30 and weld them onto the dana 44 at the proper placement? Im pretty sure the 78 F250 HP 44 was set up for leafs correct?

Comment

when you build the front end consider throwing a 9" diameter dana 50 R&P in there on a 3 series carrier jana 54 style.....

later on if you really get creative a 35 spline ARB and dana 60 knuckles and you'll have upgrade options and still have ground clearance.... 654 front end. its not an idea for everyone but for some it works really well. its a heck of a ring and pinion improvement over the 8.5" d44 R&P

food for thought
                  Last edited by ddestruel; 08-15-2012, 08:44 PM.
                  "Jeep Lurker"

Jeep cj 7
                  Amc 401 power plants you should try it some time

Comment

Just picked up the 14 bolt today. DAAAAAAMMMMMNNNNN it's heavy. Going to do the disc brake swap, 5.13's and detroit locker. Don't think I'm gonna break this axle.

The old front Dana 30 is next to it to show you a comparison. Anyone want a D30 for $50?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, 14 bolt is no joke! I felt fortunate to GIVE my 30 away after tripping over it for a couple years...
                      sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

you ain't kidding man. Hopefully someone wants one for parts.

Comment

I helped a guy out here move a D60, 14B & 6BT cummins by hand (4 of us)! Its a wonder no one got killed. Some HEAVY duty shiznit!
                          sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Craigslist made my Dana 30 go bye bye quickly...
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                              Craigslist made my Dana 30 go bye bye quickly...
                              Hopefully, I need to repost again. In other news I just picked up the 1992 Dana 60 HP dually which I need to convert to a single wheel but no biggie.

Comment

Working...
                              X