351w Explorer Serp conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 351w Explorer Serp conversion

I started with removing all the v-belt brackets,harmonic,timing cover and water pump.Stuff a rag in the oil pan opening to keep out debris!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by silverhorse; 12-11-2006, 04:38 PM.
    Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle dixie?

Next, I had to remove the fuel pump eccentric.(It wont clear the explorer/94-95 mustang timing cover).Once the eccentric is removed your dowel pin will more that likely be to long.(Your cam bolt and washer wont clear the dowel)Some people just clearance the washer.(I didnt like that option). I chose to use a shorter dowel pin.I simply attached a pair of vise-grips to the pin and rotated it while pulling outward.Then inserted the shorter dowel pin.
    Attached Files

Comment

You will also find your camshaft bolt is now too long.I just cut it down some.(you need a grade 5-8 bolt with a shoulder, IMO) I used this SST- Q-tip taped to a straw to get any debris out of the oil pan.Worked great,silicon sticks to the oily Q-tip.After cleaning everything several times with brake clean, I installed the explorer timing cover,water pump and harmonic balancer,Since I have a 351w, I had to have the explorer harmic rebalanced to .28 ounce imbalance. All 351w are .28 ounce as is the older 302.The explorer and newer 5.0 engines are .50 ounce.
      Attached Files

Comment

Whoo Hoo! Coming along nicely. Nice tech info too. We should turn this into a tech article and make a "sticky" when you're done. Thanks for the info and pics!

Comment

You are welcome sir. More pics to come!

Comment

brackets

The Explorer brackets bolt directly to the heads.A portion of the top of the power steering/a/c bracket may have to be trimmed in order for the TFI on the distributor the clear while setting the timing.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by silverhorse; 12-31-2006, 11:49 AM.

Comment

What PS pump are you going to run. Is it possible to use a saginaw pump.
              69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

The Exploder pump actually is quite a capable pump. I run it and have heard nothing but good things. I just have to get my new lines ran
                68 Slightly modified
                67 LUBR once again
                61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick
                  The Exploder pump actually is quite a capable pump. I run it and have heard nothing but good things. I just have to get my new lines ran
                  I love this pump. I runs my 40's with no issues at all. I never get even a whine from it. We'll see how it will run the hydro boost too. I have heard that this pump is one of ford's best yet.
                  “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Is it a remote reservoir?
                    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Yah, it mounts to the pump mounting bracket.
                      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
                        I love this pump. I runs my 40's with no issues at all. I never get even a whine from it. We'll see how it will run the hydro boost too. I have heard that this pump is one of ford's best yet.
                        My tires are only 35s but my Explorer pump runs my hydroboost and the steering just fine. And if you do ever have to change it out, the pulley bolts to a flange, thus no special tools needed.
                        1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                        I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars
                          the pulley bolts to a flange, thus no special tools needed.

Heeeeeey, that's cheating!!

Comment

Special tools are cool, I wish I had more

Comment

Originally posted by ACE
                              Special tools are cool, I wish I had more
                              I didn't say "no special tools wanted", I need only the thinnest of excuses to buy more tools

My current project is building an airplane. There is an entire world of special tools that opens up when you get involved with aviation!
                              1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                              I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Working...
                              X