Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where to start for manual to auto conversion

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
    No the C4 is not that bad, it is a bomb proof small block tranny... But it does not have an overdrive and these trucks were built when gas was cheap and the hwy RPM's will be high.
    If you do an AOD then you need to find a tranny, take it apart (say rebuild) to replace the rear output shaft with the $700.00+ dollar AA kit. Then you need to hook up the gear shifter somehow (floor or column) and connect the TVS cable to the Carb. Do not forget adding a tranny cooler and running the lines, redoing the driveshafts, maybe rebuilding the D20, use an auto tranny starter, find cover plate, flex plate, etc. This will be specialized labor, someone who understands Broncos and transmissions.

As far as the 4r70w, maybe someone can chime in on that cost...

You have stated that you are not mechanical and a new Bronco owner, so you will have to pay an hourly rate for someone to do all this work. That is what is going to drive up the cost of your project.

How about driving the summer with the three speed, enjoy the Bronco, fix the little things. Continue to research this change, make a plan, chase down parts, save money, and make changes next winter. Sorry for the unsolicted .02

Doug
    No worries, I appreciate your input. I think I'll end up going with the C4 temporarily while I do the above. It's gonna run me around 1K for the swap and I don't mind... Just not diggin the manual.

I'm not sure how to do the math above, what kind of RPMs would I be running at 60-65 with the C4 and 33s/35s 3.50/4.11s?

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
      Hey, that pedal piviot shaft can be stuck in there for life! I've hung off my press trying to get them out before giving up and cutting them off.
      So far I'm 2 out of 3 I've had to cut off.
      I must be lucky. I'm 1 for 1.

Comment

you can go for a ride in mine. 3o2 fuel inj. c4 456gears 35 tires. overdrive would be nice for long drives. i dont think your going to do it on the budget you have.
        75 302 c4 marlin crawler 20 44&9" 4.56 arb's 35"mtrs

Comment

Originally posted by guidoverduci View Post
          Also...Can someone chime in on what the C4 is like with 33s and 3.50 gears, or 35s and 4.11s... Stock 302. How's the power, fun to drive still or sluggish? RPM range when cruising 60-65 or city driving? Reason I'm asking is I've been reading threads that say go 4r70w over C4 and do it right the first time but I'm assuming at least double the cost, Is the c4 really that bad?
          I've got a c4 with 3.50 gears on 33's right now, stock 302. I wish I had overdrive on the freeway doing 65-70 because the RPM's get up there, but it's not too bad. I plan to regear to 4.56 and go to 35's with my FW axles when I build them.

Where are you located? You're welcome to come take mine for a spin if you are in the area.
          '68- 302 C4 x D20, Dana 30 x 9" stock gears, 33" pavement pounders, 3-1/2" suspension lift 0 body lift, wishlist getting bigger, wallet getting smaller

Comment

I hang out (lurk) on the fringes and can chip in on the 4r70W costs... I just spent 2 weeks doing this last July. From ZF/203/D20 to 4r70W/KluneV/Atlas4.3

Nowhere close to 2K budget costs... you can buy a stock trans and they work well on stock engines cost:
            $500 and up. My total rebuild on a 4R70W with parts to handle 500ft lbs torque/HP $1850

TC go with the stock one for no cost ... TC for stupid HP too much $

Baumann controller-beautiful unit does everything you want and more-not cheap like $500 plus

Drivelines- hundreds

Cooler- got to have a fan one unless your radiator is for an auto but then you probably will still need one. $100 plus

Shifter- stock column would work but you'll have OD issues or I went with a Winters (Jim carries them at WH now-his price is very competitive) couple hundred

Cooler lines

Adapter (depending on t-case). I have a KluneV that bolts direct and Atlas-no adapters

Flex plate with whatever balance you need

MerconV ain't cheap and you need a bunch

Pedal assbly ... I used my manual one and removed the clutch pedal arm and moved the brake swing arm to the clutch side. I finally converted to hydro boost and got to put my m/c on the left side of the strg column for the look and clearance under the hood. It just clears the fender. I bent the pedal assbly and welded on a larger "Disc Brakes" pedal/pad. Stock position

Go C4 to save about 2K or more...

Hope this helps
            Last edited by nvrstuk; 04-14-2012, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I'm doing the same thing. My wifes Luber is three on the tree (love it!) but she wants auto. Got a rusted parts rig with a auto to swap in. Staying with the C4, good solid tranny. Thought abt an OD, but as said above, not cheap....but what is?

Follow 904Bronco's advice, and save if you really want an OD my .02
              68 Slightly modified
              67 LUBR once again
              61 Willy Wagon

Comment

I have a 302 (with Holley projection), c4, heavy 36's with 4.10 gears. It has plenty of power and acceleration. On the freeway @ 60-65 it's around 2400-2600 rpm. I converted over from a 435, installed a floor shifter and left the clutch pedal dangling.
                67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

You can do an AOD and avoid the Baumann controller that a 4R70 needs.

Comment

Working...
                  X