Re: BRONCO DE MAYO 2013, May 3,4, and 5

Add one more rig to the list. My buddy will be coming too

Comment

Dont forget.
      2 Weeks left
      {o===o}
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
      Originally posted by CityHick
      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I hate to be the one to break the news but Bald Mountain is closed until May 30th due to snow melt erosion. Rock Creek Road is even closed. I was thinking there's a nice rock garden in Jose Basin but i'm not familiar with the area. I'm not even sure that Jose Basin is open either. I have a call into the forest service to check the conditions.

Comment

Awe man... I thought the melt was on a couple weeks ago

Any locals know if its open?
          {o===o}
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

yeah, Bald Mt. is closed until the end of May. We are looking into other local trails to wheel on. I can't wait! It's only a couple of weeks away. Get your rigs ready and get that camping gear dusted off!

Comment

Is anybody familiar with Jose Basin or Miami Creek Trails?

Comment

I'm not sure about Jose basin, But i know that Miami creek is were I go for dirt bike trails. Not familiar with any really good 4wheeling trails in that area. I have never known Bald to be shut down like this.

Comment

Bald mnt spur is open. Not sure what that is but all I found was this

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra...telprdb5315989

Fresno 4wheel drive club says its open year round.
                  {o===o}

Comment

This is not per the US forest service but instead the new Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM). As far as I can tell Jose Basin area is open. I spoke with the Prather US Forest Service Office and they confirmed that the Bald Mtn. area is closed right now. The "unimproved dirt roads" are closed from 4/01 to 5/20 and the "trails" are closed 4/01 to 5/30.

If we can find someone that's familiar with Jose Basin area were set. I know there's some nice rock gardens but i don't know how to find them.

Here's a link to the new maps.
                    http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra...telprdb5306169
                    Last edited by TieWire; 04-22-2013, 07:12 AM.

Comment

You are right. We need some knowledge of the area of Jose Basin. I've been there once on my dirt bike, but only found fire roads and a few single tracks. I don't have any time to get up there to explore before BDM, nor do I know anyone who is familiar with the area as far a 4x4s go.

Comment

Just spoke with the OHV guy for the forsest down there. Cool guy, Very PRO OHV.

Looks like travel management shut the trail down due to "water flow"across the trail. They did this so the water board doesnt get involved and order a clean up and abatement just like what happened on the rubicon trail.
                        He said that this is the first year this has happened and the "dates of closure" are ridiculous. There cannot be a calendar date, it should be measured by "the melt".

They are working with the FS and OHV to get it "taken care of"

He did say the Blue and jose are open but those are just fire roads. nothing exciting about them.

Did someone say Bronco de Juno?
                        {o===o}

Comment

Blue and jose are open but those are just fire roads. nothing exciting about them.

That is what I have read too. I don't think people want to travel to be entertained with fire roads.

Comment

I agree with Bronco De Juno. But from what ive heard it may even be Julyo. Im still down to share a few stories and cold ones.

Comment

It's a bit of a drive for you Fresno folks (but no worse than for us northern guys driving south), but Slick Rock and the access roads leading into it are open. Perhaps Bronco De Mayo could move up north for this year. It's a moderate trail, nothing too crazy but there are a couple of fun sections.

I have been thinking about doing a day trip up there sometime soon just to do a little recon if nothing else. Assuming that we hit it on a slow weekend (and there often are a lot of slow weekends), there are a bunch of sweet camp spots right on the trail and very near the "ladder" obstacle so as to make night wheeling an easy option. It's my understanding that the main water crossing is about 3' deep at this time which is typical for the early season. The only snow from what I'm told, is at the far north end of the trail but otherwise pretty clear.

Otherwise I believe most of the other trails up here are either closed under the Eldorado County order, or under seasonal closure pending snow melt. Pickings are slim now that Bald is not an option.
                              1970 Bronco
                              My build thread

Comment

As of last weekend there was2-3 foot of snow on the alpine side and few drifts down lower. the trail is still closed.
                                75 302 c4 marlin crawler 20 44&9" 4.56 arb's 35"mtrs

Comment

Working...
                                X