Blwngsket Gearbanger Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blwngsket Gearbanger Install

Here it is. The first thing that I did was bench assemble the new shifter. After doing this I noticed the two bolts that hold the horizontal linkage from the 435 shifter to the new shifter were 1/4" too long and needed to be trimmed.
    Then I cut the 435 shifter rod at the first bend and ground it smooth. The Gearbanger clamp is fully adjustable so it wont hurt to leave this long untill you decide how your shifters throw is and if it needs further adjustment.
    I decided to cut a mounting plate for underneath the bodies floor pan, if the GearBANGER lives up to it's name I wanted more than a couple of washers holding it to the floor.
    I placed the assembly in the truck and used a couple of C - clamps to hold it in place while I adjusted it's placement.
    Once in place I marked, drilled holes and mounted the new shifter bracket.
    With this done I installed the linkage and ran the new shifter through the gears. With the clamp placement more than 1/2 way up the 435's shift rod, the shifters distance to the dash in 1st gear is 8 1/2", when in 2nd it's 13". Throw is 5" and that's with a whole bunch of adjustability to shorten it up. Easy install great looks and appears to be bullet proof. Nice product Jack!
    Tony (having problems with my computer, hope this posts up)
    Last edited by blwngsket; 03-14-2013, 11:08 AM.
    1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

pics
    Attached Files
    1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

More pics. As you can see in these pics the twin sticks need to be moved away from the shifters linkage, already planned to do nthis anyways.
      Tony
      Attached Files

Comment

looks GREAT!!
        {o===o}
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
        Originally posted by CityHick
        I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Looks good. How does it shift?
          Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
          I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Nice and smooth. Better than b-4. After the joints loosen up a bit from use I'll move the clamp down on the 435 shift shaft and shorten the throw even more but even as long a throw as it is now (5 inches, real nice!) it kicks ass over the old shifter. You guys are gonna love this thing. Wonder how we ever got along with out one ( I know, I know, I await the response from the NV4500 guys)
            Tony

Comment

That looks good!!!!
              Brad
              Chico, Ca.

Comment

Looks awesome. Maybe I should have gotten in on the mass buy.

Comment

Pat, you definitely need the Billet one...
                  “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
                    Pat, you definitely need the Billet one...

I was thinking of a "combo" unit. I like the black shifter because it matches my 3 t-case shifters, but then maybe get the aluminum "shift rod" (for lack of a better term) for the bling factor.

Comment

I like the billit one for the bling, But pistol grips only really work in Mopars (Cudas and Chargers). Would that rod be called "the horizontal shift linkage dohickey"?
                      Just thinking out loud.
                      Tony
                      Last edited by blwngsket; 03-28-2007, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Yeah I don't care for the pistol grip.

I thought it was called the shift linkage thingy-ma-bob-gigger.

Comment

Are you able to speed shift with it? Or does it just shift easier?
                          Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle dixie?

Comment

I guess it depends on your trans, Mine is pretty quick but I can't float it like I did in my Freightliner. If I wanted to have really quick shifts I would have kept my toploader.
                            Still allot smoother and faster not to mention easier on my shoulder ( rotator issues) not having to row the shifter from my hood to my tailgate.
                            Tony

Comment

Well I finally got off of my a$$ and Bent my twin sticks out of the way of the gear banger and bent a patch panel for my trans tunnel. I'll have to open up the trans tower hole if I need to remove/re install the tranny but considering I've done that 4 times in the last month, I hope that won't be for awhile. Maybe a little more bend work on the sticks.
                              Tony
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X