• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 6daze project

more pics
    Attached Files
    71 Bronco
    EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
    Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Very nice Great job as usual........
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Exhaust.

Exhaust shop rebuilt my wye pipe. Looks good and clears my oil pan. I also had the bend some .250 wall 2" DOM tubing! Next project begins!

MAF

On my original EFI install I noticed the air filter that I chose to use would not let the MAF sit on the inner fender. I made a bracket to raise the MAF up about ½”. This time I decided to use small spacers under the MAF to create enough clearance for the air filter. I think it is a cleaner look.

Timing

This took me longer than I care to admit. ( I was trying to run it on the old firing order. new cam= HO firing order ) After fooling around I decided to try the HO firing order. It fired right up and runs like a champ.
        Attached Files
        71 Bronco
        EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
        Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Oil Pressure

So on my first drive to work, I lost oil pressure! I almost made it to work when I noticed a significant drop in pressure. I was watching it like a hawk so I am confident that I caught it quickly. I limped it into work and shut it off. The dipstick read a little low so I added a quart but it didn’t help. I knew it wasn’t the guage because the valvetrain was very noisy. I had about 10 psi at idle but it would never climb….I towed it home.

After a little research I tore apart the front of the block. In the oil pan I found a dime sized (once round) piece of metal. After pulling the timing chain I found a missing oil galley plug. In talking to the machine shop these are usually just installed with a punch and they stay. Apparently mine didn’t. To keep these in you can “stake” them like I did or “peen” them. Either method is supposed to keep the plugs from coming out. Another alternative is to tap and plug these while the block is torn down. There are three at the front of the motor and one in the lifter valley. The three at the back of the block are tapped from the factory.

Anyway I got it back together and the oil pressure sits about 40 at idle. I am driving it to work tomorrow so we shall see!
          Attached Files
          71 Bronco
          Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Well overall a successful day. My oil pressure was fine but I blew off the new BC lower crossover hose. and my upper hose is rubbing the PS pulley. Might need a new solution.

Also developed an exhaust leak at the driver's side header. Got it tightened up tonight and will test it out tomorrow. Just want to drive this thing!

The short list:
            troubleshoot tach that stopped working
            find PS leak
            change speedo gear in Atlas
            71 Bronco
            Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

My exhaust leak required a new gasket on the drivers side header. Thankfully I kept my old "reusable" gaskets. Those Felpro ones I used suck!

The bolts loosened up and now matter how much I tightened them down the gasket still leaked. I guess I need to check those things a bit more.

The tach seems to be working now, not sure how I fixed that.

The PS leak might just wait until the 4x2 box goes in...

VSS and speedo gear are next.

Oh yeah, I picked up a new front bumper from Protofab over the weekend!
              Last edited by 6daze; 07-06-2011, 07:09 PM.
              71 Bronco
              Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Originally posted by 6daze View Post
                My exhaust leak required a new gasket on the drivers side header. Thankfully I kept my old "reusable" gaskets. Those Felpro ones I used suck!

The bolts loosened up and now matter how much I tightened them down the gasket still leaked. I guess I need to check those things a bit more.
                Stage 8 headder locks work
                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Brian View Post
                  Stage 8 headder locks work
                  Actually they didn't work for me. Maybe two per side would fit but the rest needed to be trimmed to fit. I decided it was too much of a pain and went with standard hex heads.

The stage 8's are for sale if you are interested!
                  71 Bronco
                  Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Got the VSS installed today. I used the WH cable and VSS
                    http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product..._Transfer_Case

I had previously used a cable from BC but it was too short and fell apart the first time I installed it.

It has seemed to cure my "hanging idle" problem. As I came to a stop, the engine would idle around 1200 or so for a few seconds and then come down. It seems to have disappeared.

The RJM harness is clearly labeled for positive and ground.

Pics:
                    Attached Files
                    71 Bronco
                    Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Test fit the new bumper and ordered a winch!
                      Attached Files
                      71 Bronco
                      Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Fresh powder...
                        Attached Files
                        71 Bronco
                        Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Man! That's lookin' REAL nice!
                          sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

It needs some scratches on it
                            {o===o}
                            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                            Originally posted by CityHick
                            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Front end
                              Got the bumper back from powder and mounted up, I was able to squeeze in three bolts per side.

Got a great deal on a M8000 before the price hike, and free shipping to boot! I lengthened the wires to the control box so I could mount it under the hood.

Didn’t like the roller fairlead so I swapped it out for a warn hawse style. Also used a cover designed for the xd9000i. It is Warn part# 81761. The neoprene looks better IMHO.

Still need to bolt on the tow bar mounts.

Bolted up my lights to the tow hook holes for temporarily. I need to fab up a small hoop to move these up and in a little. Right now they completely block my turn signals!

Under the hood
                              Upper rad hose is just too tight a fit. It is hitting the fan, literally. So I switched to the combo hose as documented in the CB explorer serp swap. Problem now is that it hits the PS reservoir! I think I will run it like this for an upcoming trip and then find a new solution. I might move the reservoir over to the core support. Maybe even get one of those nice billet canisters from PSC?

Plumbed in a PS cooler. I had this sitting on the shelf for a while now waiting to get installed. I nabbed this off an explorer in the pick-n-pull. One mount was trimmed down a little and couple new holes/grommets in the firewall and I am good to go!
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by 6daze; 11-04-2011, 06:25 PM.
                              71 Bronco
                              Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Long Arms

Finaly pushed through on the long arm project as well. Same as everyone elses.. nothing special. I had an exhaust shop bend the tube, built a fixture, Poly Performance brackets, Johnny Joints, etc. Powder coated semi gloss black.

I kept the 7 degree bushings in there for now. As far as I can tell my caster is still zero. Next month I plan to tear this apart and have the inner C s cut off and rotated. Then I will go back to stock bushings.

Thanks Lars!

pics:
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by 6daze; 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM.
                                71 Bronco
                                Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Working...
                                X