Shock Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Mounts

I thought I'd get this section started. I have a brand new rear "Cross" style shock mount that's ready to go in. I've just got to get out there and do it. I also have some F-250 towers for the front that need to be installed. I am very new to welding. Someone at work had suggested only welding on the frame horizontally and not all the way around the mount. They said I could weaken my frame with vertical welds. Is there anything to this? I really like the way Jon straitened out his F-250 towers. Would it hurt to make them completely flat?
    71 Trail Bronco, 351w, 435, 37's, Detroit in back, ARB upfront with excessive trail souvenirs.

I've welded numerous places on my frame and never had a problem. My hoops in the rear are mounted on top of the frame, however, just weld them on and don't worry about it.

I am not too sure about the front 250 mounts. Never messed with them.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Somebody needs to tell Ford about the verticle welding danger
      I wanted to get all the height possible out of my f250 mounts so i cut the stock mounts off a few inches above the frame and then welded the the f250s to that stub. A few wheeling trips later the stock mount ripped clear off at the factory frame welds. The welds were verticle top to bottom of the frame. When I put them back on I added some angle to tie it all together and some more angle to tie it to the coil tower. Ya it's ugly but with a little chrome spray paint it's going to be trick.

I'm not sure what you mean by flat but I had to "straighten" mine to keep the shock body from hitting the mount. Simply cut the sides, bent it and welded it back up. I don't think it's straight or flat though, not enough room under there.

Comment

Burn them on, no worries, that "welding to frame" thing is only on big rigs and such, that have a heat treated frame.
        If you need any help, just come down the hill
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I got it done. Boy did it turn out ugly. I don't realy care what it looks like as long as it holds. I'll give everyone a good laugh and port the pics. Keep in mind, I'm new to welding. I've only really practiced for about an hour total. This is the first time I've ever welded anywhere but on a bench.

Are you ready for a bood laugh?
          71 Trail Bronco, 351w, 435, 37's, Detroit in back, ARB upfront with excessive trail souvenirs.

Comment

Whoops, I guess I'd better add the pics.

Comment

We all started soewhere...at least you are attempting it...

Saying that, get out your grinder... Just kidding.

Looks like in a few spots your gun was too far from the surface...and in a few spots you slowed down too much....but is a few spots it doesn't look half bad!! Good start though!!
              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Yup, some parts look a little cold, flip up the welder and where the wire goes it should a guessitime of what heat and what wire speed works for what size metal, then onece there you just keep tweeking.
                Mark Harris
                71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
                X